Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Microbead fun!

This card is actually "take two" of a card I made for my daughter who likes butteflies and ladybugs. Somehow, I managed to send her the card without photographing it. I borrowed it back from her to take a picture ... but somehow managed to lose it! So, I made this card, a different design, but with the same way of doing the ladybug, with microbeads. I had first tried stamping the ladybug image and putting black microbeads on the image, but the look was too messy. So I decided to just cover the entire ladybug, after trimming off the antenae and legs. By creating a "tail" on the cutout, I gave myself an easy way to cover the bug with versamark ink without having any uneven edges by doing it before cutting it out, and then giving myself something to hold on to while heating the sticky embossing powder. After I did that, I sprinkled some clear embossing powder over it and melted that to ensure a firm hold on the microbeads. I then stamped the image again, with black ink and powder to give texture to the antennae and legs, then glued the microbeaded ladybug on top. I couple of weeks ago I made something else with microbeads, and it suddenly occured to me that I could try gently pushing the microbeads that were just a bit over the edge, into the design for a neater look. If you do a close-up look at the bug, you can see a few clear beads overhanging the image. Now I know to just gently push in those strays for a much cleaner look!

I almost didn't post this card, because it really did not turn out as I had hoped. (I also didn't sponge my sky on dark enough to see in the photograph!) I realized in retrospect that hot, humid days are not good days for sticky embossing! But as I appreciate learning from people's mistake, I'm passing on what I learned with this! If you click on the picture for a larger image, you can see with the flower that a number of excess microbeads are layered, giving a messy look to the flower. The butteflies turned out much better, but I also had problems with them. Just too much moisture in the air! I embossed the grass and flower stem, and colored in the leaves with marker so that the stem would stand out from the grass.

All the images can be purchased seperately, or you can get the full sheets Flower Blocks and/or Dragonflies. I have made a number of cards with these adorable images!

Sunday, August 26, 2012


Yep! I'm getting a few Christmas cards done, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up in a crunch in November or December anyway. I've only gotten about 6 or 7 done so far and that's not much of a dent in the 50 or so that I need.
Anyway, here's my most recent one.
I used
"noel" from the "Friends" set of words (#46202)
"Snow Star" (#84204)
I colored the Snow Star image with FlexMarkers.
I love the set the 'noel' came from.
I love the script and the size, just love everything about them.
And is that snowman the cutest little guy ever?!?
He looks so happy with his string of stars!
I hope you stop in to the Biblical Impressions shop and see all the fabulous image they have to offer.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I"m posting for Biblical Impressions today. I love the faux batik techinique, even if I am not trying for that look, it's just a fun to invert stamping images. For this card, I stamped Biblical's sunflower background in dark yellow, than embossed the plaids over it. Then I sponged yellows and butterscotch over the panel, finishing by ironing off the clear embossing. I embossed the medium sunflower with yellow, restamped it with die ink, stamped "Hi" on it (oops, this is a Eureka stamp), and cut it out with decorative scissors.

As often happens when I experiment, even after several tries, I did not get the look I had envisioned, but I still was happy with how it looked in the end. I've included a picture of the first time I did it before adding the yellows and butterscotch, and then that panel and another that I also tried that I did not use. How would you have done it?

Thursday, August 2, 2012

It's about birthdays today.

Hello and welcome to the Biblical Impressions Blog!
Kristie here and
it's about birthday cards today!
I have 2 birthday cards that I want to show you.
The first one is made with
"Sm Basket Weave" (#90402)
"Happy Birthday" (#36314)
When I found this little brown 'bag' in my supplies, I decided that I wanted to make a card with it. I stamped it using VersaMark ink and the
"Sm Basket Weave" stamp.
I used a ruler and tore the edges of the kraft cardstock.
I adhered the red cardstock to the kraft and stamped the
"Happy Birthday" sentiment onto it with Color Box Fluid Chalk Ink.
The bag was adhered to the card with ATG tape.
The pull out tag is just the right size to hold a gift card, stamp a sentiment, or just sign your name.
This second card is made with the same "Happy Birthday" stamp as the first. I really love the font and the size of this stamp.
Perfect for a standard A2 card.
I cut coordinating pieces of patterned paper in varying sized strips and adhered them to some white cardstock. This is a great way to use up some of those scraps you've been saving.
I then ran this through the Cuttlebug in an embossing folder.
(sorry I don't have a clue what the name of that folder is.)
The fiber I tied around it is from my stash, as is the "screw top" brad.
I usually have a tough time with masculine cards, but I think these 2
turned out very nice. They were both quick and easy to make.

Thanks for stopping by today, leave comment if you will.
Come again soon.
I'd be glad to have you stop by my blog
and see what else I've been working on lately.